500 Riverdale Ave
Lewiston, NY 14092
(716) 282-5084 | F (716) 282-5070
Mon-Fri, 9a-2p, Sat. by appointment
All cemetery grounds are open from 7:30 a.m. until dusk
All mausoleum buildings are open daily from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m.
Cemetery Guide Map
Gate of Heaven Cemetery dates back to 1897 when Riverdale Cemetery, a non-sectarian cemetery on Riverdale Road in the Town of Lewiston, sold a portion of its land to St. Mary and Sacred Heart parishes in Niagara Falls. The cemetery was consecrated later that year by Bishop James E. Quigley.
In 1925, Riverdale Cemetery officials claimed that the conveying of the land in 1897 was void. Seventeen years later, a settlement was finally reached. In 1942, Gate of Heaven Cemetery was officially established. The cemetery lies near Niagara University and the Niagara Power Project, just East of Route 104 (Lewiston Road).
Three beautiful chapel mausoleums, Gate of Heaven, Holy Angels and All Saints, adorn the back part of the cemetery. The stained glass window depicting St. Peter at the entrance to Heaven welcomes visitors to Gate of Heaven Chapel Mausoleum. A mosaic of St. Michael the Archangel and stained glass windows depicting several angels make up Holy Angels Chapel Mausoleum. All Saints, with its beautiful stained glass window of the Blessed Mother and the Holy Spirit being venerated by the saints, highlights the chapel of this most recent addition.
Gate of Heaven Cemetery has a total of 32 acres in the town of Lewiston. There are over 16,000 interments in the cemetery. There are approximately 9 acres of undeveloped land for future cemetery use.